Are you thinking about buying a Jet Wood Lathe with variable speed in the coming days or weeks? If so, then please make sure to check out this brief Jet Wood Lathe Review which will point out all you need to know before you make any buying decision.
We have also included various images for you to take a look through in this review which will also give you a better understanding of the overall structure for this particular Jet Lathe. Our primary focus will be to review the Jet 1221VS Variable Speed Lathe here but we have also included further options at the end of this page of other lathes namely the Jet JWL-1015 Wood Lathe and the Jet 1440VS 1HP Bench Lathe so at least you have more than just one choice when it comes to making a final decision.
Our review will outline all the main functions and capabilities that it has to offer plus all the main pros and cons that you need to consider also. In addition, we have pointed out some frequently asked questions which should answer most of the queries that you may have plus some price comparison options that are worth taking a closer look at.
Jet Wood Lathe Review Content:
- Part 1: Brief Overview and Frequently Asked Questions
- Part 2: Technical Information Specification
- Part 3: Jet Wood Lathe Review – Main Features and Functions
- Part 4: Jet Wood Lathe Review – Pros and Cons
- Part 5: Alternatives under the Jet Brand to Compare
- Part 6: Conclusion and Feedback Submission
Please be aware also that guide prices can only be presented at the time of this review, so please make sure to view or use the price checkers provided below to ensure you have the most up to date price information.
Part 1: Brief Overview and Frequently Asked Questions
|Product:||Jet 1221 12'' / 21'' Variable Speed Wood Lathe|
|Best Place to Buy:||Amazon|
|Warranty:||5 year warranty|
|Price Guide:||$750 to $900 – View sneak preview here|
Frequently Asked Questions about the Jet 1221 Lathe:
Q. Do you need to change the belts to change the speed?
A. No, you do not need to change the belts in order to change the speed
Q. Is this Lathe too big for Pens?
A. No, this Lathe will work great for small objects such as pens
Q. What variable speeds systems are in place?
A. There are 3 belt positions with an electronic control for speed control so you get 3 spindle spin speed ranges such as 1, 60-900 RPM / 2, 110 -1800 RPM / 3, 220 – 3600 RPM
Q. Does this Lathe come with a stand?
A. No, this Jet 1221 12''| 21'' Variable Speed Wood Lathe does not include a stand, but is available at an additional cost
Q. Are the forward and reverse motions available?
A. Yes, there is the forward and reverse and it changes in a smooth transition
Q. What are the spindle speeds available?
A. The spindle speeds are variable from 60 – 3600RPM in total
Q. What is the recommended circuit size?
A. The recommended circuit size is 10 Amps
Q. What are the dimensions?
A. The dimensions are H 21-1/4" by L 35-3/4" by W 14-1/2"
Part 2: Technical Information Specification
|Jet 1221 Wood Lathe Technical Spec:|
|- Spindle Bore = 3/8"|
- Spindle Taper (In. x TPI) = MT2
- Swing Over Bed = 12-1/2"
- Swing Over Tool Rest Base = 9-9/20"
- Distance Between Centers = 20-1/2"
- Spindle Thread (In./TPI) = 1/8" TPI
- Spindle Speeds = 60 – 3600 RPM
- Number of Indexing Positions = 24
- Motor Power (HP) = 1
- Motor Phase = 1
- Motor Voltage (V.) = 115
|- Prewired Voltage (V.) = 115
- Motor Current (Amps.) = 6
- Recommended Circuit Size (Amps.) = 10
- Height = 21-1/4"
- Length = 35-3/4"
- Width = 14-1/2"
- Quill Taper = MT2
- Quill Travel = 2-1/4"
- Weight = 125
- Warranty = 5 Year Warranty
Part 3: Jet Wood Lathe Review – Main Features and Functions
Main Features in Detail:
- This Lathe under the Jet brand model 1221 12'' by 21'' is a smaller type Lather suitable for smaller type work projects but has become very popular due to the level of control you get, the design and the level of features it has to offer
- Included in the pack is the Lathe, the Knockout rod, Spindle wrench, Tool caddies x 2, Button head screws, 5/16 x ½ by 4, Tool supports x 2 (6" and 10"), the Live center, the Spur center, the 3'' Face plate, the warranty card and the owner's manual.
- In terms of speed control, you get optimally designed speed ranges with the 60-3600 RPM variable speed options which work perfectly over and over again.
- There is the innovative ratchet style belt tension system which is patent pending, there is the forward to reverse which goes in a smooth transition and you also get the conveniently located controls and DRO
- Included also is the Acme thread in tailstock and 24 integrated indexing positions are available. The motor voltage is 115, the Prewired Voltage is 115 and the Motor Current 6 Amps
- This lathe can be used by beginners or even people who have more experience at a higher level so it is a popular option for people across the spectrum no matter what skill level you are at.
- The prices when last viewed at the time of this review ranged from $750 to $900 which can be double checked below for a more up to date price tag.
Further Image of the Jet 1221 12''| 21'' Variable Speed Wood Lathe are outlined below (seven)
Part 4: Jet Wood Lathe Review – Pros and Cons
Pros for the Jet 1221 Wood Lathe
- It comes from a recognised brand in the industry that has tons of experience which certainly goes along way and the reverse allows a great sanding finish
- Ideal for smaller type operations that need to work off a much lower budget – the price is significantly lower than some of the larger Lathes under other brands and it is great for doing smaller bowls and pens
- The level of control you have is excellent and the overall design works a whole lot better than many other brands that we have come across with little to no vibrations experienced
- You get the integrated, spring loaded spindle lock, 24 integrated indexing positions and also a 5 year warranty is provided
- Changing the speed can be done without changing the belts and the initial set up out of the box was a lot easier than expected.
Cons for the Jet 1221 Wood Lathe
- Delivery time can be somewhat slow as it ships directly from the manufacturer and can 15 days and in some cases even longer so you will need to be patient.
- There is a 15% restocking fee on all returned merchandise so please bear this in mind as it worth pointing out also
- It must be shipped within 48 Contiguous United States only
- For many operators, this Lathe model size will simply be too small and won’t be able to carry out larger type project work
- Deliveries can sometimes be unreliable – it may be delivered on a day that you least expect it
- Prices of the stands and the extensions are a little steep for our liking which are available separately
- It doesn’t include the stand which you will need to buy separately if needed.
Part 5: Alternatives under the Jet Brand - Comparisons
If you are still undecided about the Jet 1221 12''| 21'' Variable Speed Wood Lathe, then please take a look also at the 2 other options outlined below also under the Jet Brand that may be of interest to you also – prices can be compared below
2, Jet JWL-1015 10'' by 15'' Wood Lathe
Main Features / Functions:
Suitable for beginners or advanced levels
15-1/2"" between centers
3 adjustable speed ranges
15"" mini-lathe smooth running
6 fixed spindle speeds
Integrated 24 position indexing
Live center in the tailstock
Price Guide: $400 to $600
Part 6: Conclusion and Feedback Submission
Do we recommend the Jet 1221 Variable Speed Wood Lathe? Yes, in a big way – this piece of equipment offers some great features, it performs exactly as expected and come from a brand that you can trust. If you do decide to go ahead with this, then you will not be disappointed and the set-up is a whole lot easier than expected and the quality of the finishing surpassed our expectations
Have you used or tried a Jet Wood Lathe yourself in the recent past? Did it perform as expected or did you come across any problems that we should know about?
If possible – please share your own feedback (good or bad) with the wider community by leaving a comment in the comment section provided below…