If you need to know the key elements and main points in how to use a Trouser Press, then take a quick look through this post which will outline all the main key steps that you need to take. Please be aware that the process is quite easy and not complicated to master and after a few times if using it, you will have learned to have taken control of it in getting your garments completely crease free.
Like anything else – the first time you take something on with little or no experience – you are always afraid that you will make a mistake so please take a quick read through this post which covers the main steps you need to take. Firstly, though take a look also at the types available and some pros and cons associated with them that may be of interest to you…
Types of Trousers Presses:
1, Free Standing Trouser Press – can be moved from room to room
2, Wall Mounted Trouser Press - becomes a permanent fixture and you need to assemble this by yourself or use an experienced tradesman.
- No need for ironing – the press gets the creases removed for you
- Can be left alone while you attend to other chores around the house so it’s one less thing to worry about.
- Can work on other garments - not just trousers, example Jeans / Tweed
- Your trouser or garment can be left in overnight as you sleep so work is being done as you rest.
- You do not need to add moisture or dampen the fabric before use.
- Can be used on nearly all other garments where normally an iron would be used.
- The length of time you have to wait for the press to do its work – patience is needed as sometimes it can take up to 45 minutes. Some can be done in a lesser time of 15 minutes.
- Can be difficult to get the trousers nice and flat inside the press before you press both levers. This may take 30 seconds to one minute to have it sitting perfectly.
Steps in Using your Trouser Press:
Step 1 – Power up
The first thing you should do is turn on the power for a few minutes to allow sufficient time for preheating.
Step 2 – Open and Empty
Next open up the Trouser press by lifting the arms either side. Simply raise the lever arms which then opens the cushioned pad for heating. At this point you should make sure that all pockets have been emptied such as keys, wallets etc.
Step 3 – Insertion
Then insert the trouser legs into the press feet side first and make sure the line creases are in line with each other. This is the most difficult part so take your time – it may take a few attempts to get it just right and matching both sides.
Step 4 – Close
While holding the top of the trousers and slightly stretching when the crease of the legs are in line, next you will need to firmly close the trouser press know that the leg creases match against one another. Press down on the lever arms to ensure a tight fitting and that it locks into position.
Step 5 – Timer
Once closed, set the timer to the designated time period be it 15 minutes or 30 minutes that is required for the particular garment. The LED light will come on to let you know that the appliance has started. Specific models will only allow one time setting of 30 minutes while others include multiple time settings, for example 15 , 30 or 45 minutes.
Step 6 – Removal
Make sure that your trouser press has the auto shut down feature to avoid damaging your garment – once you reopen the press, your trousers will have a fantastic sleek crease free appearance that will have the envy of many others.
Some frequently asked Questions about Trouser Presses:
Q. What power level do the work from?
A. They work off a power level of 250 watts
Q. Can the free-standing Pressers be converted to a wall mount?
A. Only selected models can be converted, example 3300 Corby
Q. What temperature do they work at?
A. They operate off a temperature of 140 F.
Q. What dimensions are they generally?
A. The average size dimensions are 32 inches in height
Q. How do you clean it?
A. Only wipe it down with a damp dishcloth on the exterior – no chemicals should be used whatsoever.
Some Safety Tips when Using Trouser Presses:
- Never allow the appliance to get into contact with water – bathrooms, kitchens, shower rooms should be avoided
- Make sure the power cord is attached to a safe power supply and also make sure there are no tripping hazards especially with young children about.
- If you have children about, don’t leave the appliance unattended.
- Do not dampen or add moisture to the cushioned pads or the trousers prior to use.
In addition, while you are here - feel free to take a closer look at popular Trouser Presses or Garment Steamers by clicking on any of the images provided below…
Finally, it would be greatly appreciated by the community if you can share your own experiences of using a Trouser Press by leaving a comment in the comment box below – So that other people in the community can learn also!!!