Hello again and many thanks for taking the time to visit our DeWalt Angle Grinder Review which will cover corded and cordless options for you under the DeWalt brand so at least you have more than just one choice when it comes to making any final decisions.
Our review will focus initially and primarily on the DeWalt 4.5 inch Corded Electric 11 Amp angle grinder but we will also take a look at 2 other Cordless DeWalt angle grinder options be it the 20V option and the 60V Kit option.
We will outline all the main pros and cons that we came across so that you will get a better understanding about them along with the main capabilities and features that you need to know. In addition, we will provide a comparison table for easier viewing along with price comparison options and some frequently asked questions that has come up in the recent past that hopefully can answer some of the queries that you may possibly have.
DeWalt Angle Grinder Review Content:
- Section 1 – Brief Overview with FAQ’s
- Section 2 - DeWalt DWE402 Angle Grinder Review – Key Features / Capabilities / Pros / Cons
- Section 3 – Alternative DeWalt Angle Grinders to Consider (Cordless Options x 2)
- Section 4 – Conclusion & Your Feedback (optional)
Before you begin, please note that guide prices can only be outlined and presented at the time of this review as prices can change slightly from week to week depending on local discount activities so please make sure to view the price checkers outlined below to ensure you have the most up to date price information.
Section 1: Brief Overview with FAQ's
|Product:||DeWalt DWE402 Angle Grinder (plus Alternative Options)|
|Best Place to Buy:||Amazon|
|Price Guide:||$65 up to $95 (Angle grinder only) – View Sneak Preview Here|
|Warranty:||3 year warranty with 1 year free service and 90 day money back guarantee|
|Power:||11 Amp, 120V, 1.8 HP|
Frequently asked questions about the DeWalt DWE402 Angle Grinder (10+)
Q. Do you need a wrench to change the wheels?
A. No, there are no tools required to change the wheels but the option is there if needed
Q. What is the cord length?
A. The cord length for the DWE402 is 72 inches
Q. What is the HP for the DWE402?
A. The DeWalt 4.5 Inch 11 Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder is 1.8HP
Q. How does the quick wheel change release system work?
A. You can loosen the spindle nut on the top of the grinder where it locks the disc by hand
Q. Does the paddle switch system lock on when required?
A. No, the paddle switch does not lock
Q. Does it include a Type 1 guard when cutting?
A. No, this model does not include the type 1 guard when cutting but can be bought separately
Q. What size hole of a disc is needed?
A. This grinder accepts discs with a 5/8 inch hole
Q. What RPM wheels are required?
A. Don’t use any wheels less than 11000 RPM for this grinder
Q. Can you get the discs and case kit included also?
A. Yes, you can purchase the kit case instead which includes everything you need to get started
Q. Is this a variable speed angle grinder?
A. No, this is a single one speed angle grinder only
Q. Does this angle grinder have the ability to cut cast iron sewer pipes?
A. Yes, as long as you select the appropriate cutting disc
Q. How many service factory centers do they have?
A. DeWalt have over 60 factory service centers across the US.
Q. Is there a money back guarantee?
A. Yes, they provide a 90 day money back guarantee (plus 1 year free service and 3 year limited warranty)
Section 2 - DeWalt DWE402 Angle Grinder Review – Key Features / Capabilities / Pros / Cons
DeWalt 4.5 Inch 11 Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder (DWE402)
Key Features in Summary:
1.8 HP / 120V angle grinder
Corded Power Electric Tool
Wheel Diameter is 4.5 inches
Spindle Size is 5/8"-11 inches
11 Amp AC/DC 11K RPM motor
Dust Ejection System
Tool Length is 12 inches
2 position side handle
One touch guard included
Small gripping surface
Paddle switch / safety lock
Auto off brushes – shut down
Matching wheel flanges
Pros for the DeWalt 4.5 Inch 11 Amp Angle Grinder
- The price level for the Angle Grinder alone is very competitive and very attractive for a tool of this quality – great value provided. Plus you have the option of going down the Grounded route or with the Kit box or with no lock and all options are generally under $100/$120 when seen at the time of this review
- There is free shipping included here also (as the value is over $25) and you can also avail of free Amazon technical support which is a great service to have especially for newbies or inexperienced operators.
- You will find that the dust ejection system works really well by getting rid of any damaging dust or debris particles that may enter the tool and the One Touch guard system allows for 360 degree rotations of the guard with a single action
- It includes the disc change tool free mechanism and doesn’t need or require any wrenches and has the small grip surface which provides lots of comfort for a tool in this power class.
- The cord length is decent at 72 inches long and you are also provided with the paddle switch with the safety lock which prevents any accidental start-ups and there is also the auto shut off brushes where the tool will shut down automatically when the brushes need to be replaced which ensures that the tool lasts longer
- There is also a superb warranty period of 3 years from authorized sellers (plus 1 year free service/90 day money back guarantee) which gives lots of confidence when you buy and peace of mind for back up and the one touch guard works brilliantly.
Cons for the DeWalt 4.5 Inch 11 Amp Angle Grinder
- It states that these wheels can be changed without a tool but this is easier said than done, you are better off using a hex key or spanner wrench to get the wheel changed. It is possible to change without a tool but it is a lot more difficult than expected without a tool
- It doesn’t include a type 1 guard when cutting and there is no variable speed setting available either – just a single speed setting
- There is a safety lock on the paddle on/off switch which may annoy some operators who tend to use the tool daily and it can be difficult to adjust when needed especially when wearing gloves
- The cord of just 72 inches will be too short for many people and it does not include a proper guard for using a cutting wheel
- The quick change release feature listed is not actually available which is extremely disappointing – it should be removed from the product spec as it doesn’t actually have it and creates confusion
- The price guide when last seen at the time of this review for the Angle Grinder only was in the $65 to $95 region with Amazon which of course can be double checked below
Further images of the DeWalt DWE402 Corded Angle Grinder are outlined below (6)
More reviews that may be of interest to you…
Section 3 – Alternative DeWalt Angle Grinders to Consider (Cordless)
If you are undecided about the smaller Corded DeWalt DWE402 Angle Grinder, then take a quick look also at 2 cordless DeWalt Angle grinder options that may also be of interest to you outlined below
1, DeWalt 20V Max Brushless Cut Off Grinder (Tool only) DCG413B
Key Features / Capabilities:
Grinder tool cordless only – Brushless motor
4.5 inches, 20V Max – XR
Paddle switch small angle
Kickback brake/ Lithium ion battery
Maximum 9000 RPMs / Blade Brakes
Charger and battery sold separately
Price Guide: $100 to $150
Available @ Amazon
2, DeWalt 60V Max 2 Battery Grinder with Kickback Brake Kit DCG414T2
Key Features / Capabilities:
FLEXVOLT Grinder with Kickback Brake Kit
60V Max 2 battery cordless grinder
Trigger brake stop system / kickback brake
Speed 9000 RPM / Stop speed 1.5 seconds
E-clutch activates for stalls or pinches
Brushless Motor / 4.5” to 6” Wheel Capacity
Price Guide: $250 to $320
Available @ Amazon
A short comparison table is outlined below for the Corded vs Cordless DeWalt Angle Grinders:
|Model:||DeWalt DWE402||DeWalt DCG413B||DeWalt DCG414T2|
|Wheel Diameter:||4.5 Inch||4.5 Inch||4.5 - 6 Inch|
|Power:||11 Amp, 1400 W||20V battery||60V battery|
|Speed:||11,000 RPM||9,000 RPM||9,000 RPM|
|Power Source:||Corded Electric||Cordless Electric||Cordless Electric|
|HP:||1.8 HP||1.8 HP||2.2 HP|
|Package:||Tool only (additions optional)||Tool only (additions optional)||Batteries, type 27 wheel & guard wrench, flanges, kit bag|
|Cord Length:||72 inches||N/A||N/A|
|Weight:||6.2 Ibs||5.8 Ibs||11 Ibs|
|Dimensions:||15.6, 5.9, 4.8 inch||12.2, 4.7, 6 inch||9.4, 5.7, 16.7 inch|
|Warranty:||3 years||3 years||3 years|
Section 4 – Conclusion & Your Feedback (optional)
Do we recommend the DeWalt 4.5 Inch 11 Amp Paddle Switch Angle Grinder DWE402? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. The one touch guard is superb, the power and cutting is one of the best we have seen and overall this is great value for a small quality tool that will not let you down. As it is backed with the 3 year warranty, you have great confidence knowing that DeWalt will stand over their angle grinders like this and it offers more power from what we have seen when compared with the likes of other top branded angle grinders.
Many other brands require you to use a spanner and shaft wrench but here all you need is a large allen wrench for the wheel nut which is included which makes the disc changing a whole lot easier. It has a much lighter weight which reduces arm and hand fatigue and the discs can be changed without a tool or with the tool – whatever makes it easier for you and the 11 Amps gives plenty of torque – more than what you would expect but be warned that the quick change wheel release is not actually included with this model (advertised in certain places as being available) so please take note of this if this feature is important to you.
Have you used an DeWalt Angle Grinder yourself in the recent past? Did it operate as expected or did you experience any problems with it?
If possible – please share your own feedback (good or bad) with the wider community by leaving a comment in the comment section provided below (email addresses are not published)