Welcome once again and thanks for taking the time to visit this detailed review for the Best Self Propelled Lawn mowers which are available at present which cover many of the best and trusted brands and some with low prices included. When you have a lawn, the one thing you cannot control is your grass growth and if your lawn is larger than normal, then you will need a self propelled mower to help you get around each turn pass as some lawns can take several hours to complete. Hours of pushing a mower around a garden is difficult and to assist you get that mower around each pass – you really need to upgrade from a push mower to a self propelled version.
In this way, you will be able to manage your lawn effectively and timely so you can also attend to other duties in the garden such as pruning or weeding. Although there is a number of options available from reel push mowers to electric mowers to robotic lawn mowers, the self propelled version has become more popular in recent years due to the power and support they give you in tackling all types of grasses and in particular larger gardens with thicker more denser grass.
Things to consider before you Buy…
- The first thing to consider is the size of your lawn? Do you want a more powerful lawn mower that can whizz through long grass in a large area? Are you looking for a lawn mower that is great for quickly tidying up a small patch? A smaller town house type lawn can be managed more easily by an electric corded mower than a gas mower whereas the smaller electric type mower will struggle with larger denser plots.
- Another important factor is how much tall or strong are you? To mow and tow your lawn using lawn mower you need little power, although some of mowers models have adjustable height handles to be more comfortable to use. For easiness, self-propelled petrol mowers with key starts are much easier to use than pull-starts or heavy models that have to be pushed around.
Where do you want to use your lawn mower? Are you planning to get a model that will handle well on a slope or can maneuver around trees and ponds?
- How elegant do you like your lawn to look and perhaps you might like the striped appearance and how much space do you have to store your mower? Models with foldable handles can squeeze into tighter spots.
- Just like with a car or any fancy new electronic gadget, you should consult with the owner’s manual before you use it. This is true for lawnmowers as well. Each mower is different, so maintenance requirements might vary slightly between machines. Some machines might need more frequent filter changes or have an unusual tank placement.
- You will find that the best-rated self-propelled lawn mower will have a twenty-one to twenty-two inch mow path. This is comparable to push mowers but not comparable to electric mowers.
- The best self-propelled lawn mowers will be able to tackle tall and thick grass and to dispel this large amount of cuttings you'll have the option of choosing to bag, side discharging, or mulching which gives the greater options in terms of flexibility.
Frequently Asked Questions about Self-Propelled Mowers:
- Q: How do you adjust the cutting height? Is there an adjustable bar underneath, or do you have to unscrew the wheels?
- A: Set the cutting height only when the motor is switched off and the power cable has been disconnected. To do this, turn the hubcap clockwise to release the bolt and remove the hubcap with the bolt and wheel. The wheels can now be fitted in position 1, 2 or 3 to suit the required cutting height. You can fit all 4 wheels at same height in order that the cutting blade rotates similar to the lawn. Ahead of you start to mow, ensure that the blade is not dull and that none of the fasteners are damaged. To prevent any unevenness, substitute blunt and damaged blades.
- Q: How do self-propelled mowers work?
- A: The energy from the motor in a typical mower goes to power the spinning of the blades. With self-propelled mower models, some of the energy is transferred to the wheels, although some of the models are only going to transfer energy to the front or back wheels. Other mowers models are transfer power to all of four wheels. For the most grip on hills, all wheel drive is the preferred option. The next choice after that is rear wheel drive and the Front wheel only drives.
Best Self Propelled Lawn Mowers Reviewed (7 Options)
1, The Snapper 21 Inch Front-Wheel Drive Self Propelled Gas Lawn Mower - Side Discharge / Mulching / Rear Bag
- First up is the Snapper 21 Inch self propelled Mower - If you have landscaping around your lawn then Snapper 21 inches self-propelled lawn mower is an excellent solution. It is easy to use and simple to own and this super Snapper mower model gives you maneuver quickly and smoothly around landscaping with its single speed front wheel drive system.
- This is excellent for small to large sized yards, up to 1 acre and it has a high-performance Briggs and Stratton 140cc OHV 550ex series engine which is very easy to start having the special Ready-Start feature, it means this machine required no prime, no choke, directly pull for power starting system.
- It has three-in-one cutting deck features which let you select your cut finish from mulching, bagging or side discharge. The mulch plug is included, which helps to provide nutrients back to the soil and this Snapper model has 8 inches front and rear mower wheels which work superbly on flat lawns with obstacles. In addition, it has a dual-lever height adjustment to give you six grass cutting options along with a flexible rubber grip handle for simple comfort.
- One good thing also is the deck washout port makes for you to easily clean the mower with a garden hose. This Snapper mower model 12A-A2BE707 has a three-year limited warranty and has been seen on sale with Walmart for between $240 to $280 which can be double checked below.
2, The Yard Machines 159cc 21-Inch Self-Propelled Mower
- Second on this list that you need to seriously consider is the popular Yard Machines 159cc 21-Inch Self-Propelled Mower which gives tons of power and makes the job of mowing your lawn so much easier than a push version.
- This Yard Machines lawn mower is a powerful model for small to medium-sized yards which have 159cc OHV-Auto gas engine and it has a front wheel drive with one single forward speed to power through outdoor lawn tasks.
- Please note here also that the cutting width of this model is 21 inches which has the dual-lever height adjustment settings which makes it so simple in terms of getting the correct mow height that you need.
- It has further excellent features of a side discharge also have other options of mulching capability to accommodate your lawn requirements. This is the lightweight model which weighs pounds and it has two years limited warranty which is a nice bonus to have. The 8 by 8 inches wheels here also provides you with big clearance and maneuverability around your lawn and the price is always worth taking a look at.
3, The Lawn-Boy 17734 21-Inch 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler Electric 3-in-1 Self Propelled Lawn Mower
- At number 3, we have the Lawn-Boy 17734 is specially designed to make mowing easier for the users into the yards. This model has 21 inches width having great cutting performance and reliability as it has a special Tri-Cut system.
- This model comes with a powerful engine Kohler XTX which starts with just the turn of a key. It's a lightweight model for easy mowing which weighs about 72 pounds and it has the best warranties in the industry as it is backed with the 3 years warranty.
- The special features deliver hard performance and operator-centric design provides comprehensible maintenance and the deck height can be adjusted easily at 2 points for fast customization of your mowing height.
- When there is need to bag the clippings, a larger bag fills without problems and holds more clippings and allows you to empty the bag easily and fast and Lawn-Boy's versatile cutting system permits you to select any of the options at a time between mulching, bagging or side discharge.
4, The Remington RM210 Pathfinder 21 Inch Self-Propelled - Side Discharge / Mulching / Rear Bag
- The next model that we recommend is the Remington Pathfinder 21 Inch Self-Propelled mower that has the Side Discharge, Mulching ability and also the Rear Bag and this is one of the most reliable and easiest to use self-propelled lawn mowers available.
- It can perform any kind of task of your lawn from little tree trimming to whipping a dense yard convert to a nice shaped yard. Remington products always come with easy use which is specially designed in such a way to become more efficient, durable and deliver more than enough power in the field. You can clear and clean your lawn within a short period of time with this Remington RM210 Pathfinder model.
- It's a gas powered powerful machine of 159cc OHV auto choke engine and has 21 inches cutting deck and the weight of this model is around 71.2 pounds – with it also is a two years limited warranty.
- It has three in one discharge capabilities from the bottom, side or in the bag without clumps and it has an innovative technology for blades called SureCut blade which lifts and moves as it cuts. The user can easily adjust the best grass height position as it has 6 height positions and the handle of this mower is quite adjustable and comfortable grip while you are mowing in your yard, which prevents back and hand pains. In terms of price levels, it has been seen on sale in the region of $280 to $330 at Walmart which can be viewed below if you are interested in taking a look.
5, The Honda 3-in-1 Variable Speed Self-Propelled Gas Mower with Auto Choke
- Honda HRR216K9VKA is a gas powered 160cc engine single cylinder 4 stroke self-propelled lawn mowers and it should be an essential part of your yards if you want to have your grass into a good shape.
- It has smart drive options with variable speed settings from zero to four meter per hour and it has 3 in 1 multi-functional lawn mowers which can perform mulching, have bag and side discharge. It has two micro cut blades for the ultrafine cut for mulching and bagging.
- This Honda mower model has a durable steel deck and has a special easy start engine GCV 160 engine. The handle of the machine has two positions for the user's comfort and grip and it has 6 height adjustment options to cutting the grass from 1-1/8 inches - 4 inches.
- Another great feature of this model is zone start safety system which kills the engine in case of an emergency. The weight of the Honda lawn mower model is 84 pounds and it's a powerful and reliable mower that will not let you down.
6, The Troy-Bilt 3-N-1 Self-Propelled Lawn Mower 163cc
- Troy-Bilt is a big old name for Americans having a long history of providing excellent outdoor tools and machines and the Troy-Bilt TB330 lawn mower is a self-propelled lawn mower machine which is powered by 163 cc OHV 725ex Briggs & Stratton engine.
- It is equipped with the latest technology of ReadyStart to make the starting of the mower very easy for the user. It has the single lever with multiple speed drive controls of 4 top speed settings for your comfort and control and it has 21 inches cutting width equipped with the TriAction complete cutting system including Rake bumper to lift the grass upright, a special blade designed for a mulch and a deck for excellent grass flow.
- The Troy-Bilt TB330 is equipped with the latest technology systems of integrated deck wash and the ReadyStart system which automatically senses engine temperature and regulate the air/fuel mixture ratio to go with conditions rightly. You can easily start this powerful machine by pulling the cord, no need to worry about it at all.
- The fuel tank capacity is about 1.09 quart and 1.9-bushel capacity grass bag and this lawn mower model has 8 inches front and 8 inches rear wheels for easy mobility in the uneven surfaces of the yards. It has single lever deck which allows you for 6 different height options for grass cuttings from 1.25 inches - 3.75 inches. Please note also that it has a 3 year limited warranty and in terms of weight, it comes in at about 83 pounds. Price does tend to be higher also and in some cases you will need to spend over $500+ so be prepared to spend that little bit extra.
7, The PowerSmart 20 Inch 3-in-1 196cc Gas Self Propelled Mower - DB8620
- Last on the list for you to consider is the PowerSmart 20 Inch 3-in-1 196cc gas self propelled mower which a reference number of DB8620 which is really a powerful lawn mower for small yards.
- It has a gas powered 196cc self-propelled engine and 21 inches cutting width.
- You can perform mulching easily with this mower and it has side discharge facility, plus a collection bag is attached with the rear of the machine. To maneuver easily around corners and obstacles of smaller yards, this model is propelled through the rear wheels.
- It has height adjustments settings from 1.18 inches - 3.15 inches, with 8 different cutting positions to give you lots of different options to choose from.
The PowerSmart self-propelled mower has a unique design with only one wheel in the front to increase its maneuverability and functionalities and the weight of this lawn mower is around 86 pounds. The other features include a sturdy steel deck and it is an excellent mower even if you have rough and uneven surfaces around your yards.
While you are here – feel free to view a wider selection of popular Mowers by clicking on any of the images provided below…
Finally, it would be greatly appreciated by the community if you can share your own experiences with self propelled mowers good or bad by leaving a comment in the comment box below – So that other people in the community can learn also!!