Greetings once again any many thanks for taking the time to visit – if you are looking for a reliable Compost Tumbler, then you should take a quick look through this detailed review for the Best Compost Tumblers which are available and present and which can also get delivered to your home hassle free. Before you view the models chosen by us, feel free also to take a look at some of our buying tips, pro’s and frequently asked questions that have come up also in the recent past…
Buying Tips when Researching Compost Tumblers:
- Make sure your Tumbler is easy to move and turn
- A larger model works better and quicker than smaller models – more compaction gives more heat
- Second chambers being available will assist in adding fresher compost and also getting it completed quicker.
- The compost should have a large enough entrance for filling
- Make sure they have fins to allow better aeration and addition of oxygen
Advantages of Compost Tumblers
- Ensures you compost gets mixed thoroughly so that the nutrients are spread more evenly
- Delivers compost in as little as 2 weeks in some cases.
- Produces better quality nourishing compost
- Saves you the difficult task of having to mix the compost by hand – simply turn it around
- Your compost is stored neatly away
- Keeps vermin, rodents and pests such as rats and mice away.
Frequently Asked Questions about Compost Tumblers:
Q. Can I add kitchen waste also?
A. Yes, you can add kitchen waster and garden waste to make your compost
Q. Do they work in the cold Winter?
A. They work better in the Summer hot period where heat can build up.
Q. How often do you need to turn the tumbler?
A. It should be turned a few times per week, example 5 times every 2 or 3 days
Q. How long does it take to produce usable compost?
A. It can take up to 2 to 4 weeks and sometimes more depending on the outdoor temperature, depends on the model selected
Q. How much do you add in?
A. Fill the chamber to the top and then allow it to do its work
Q. If I add fresh compost – will it take longer?
A. Yes, adding fresh compost will prolong the process – you should use the second chamber if available.
Q. Should you add worms?
A. No, there is no point adding worms as they will die
Best Compost Tumblers Review - Our Top Picks for You!
1, The Lifetime 80-Gallon Compost Tumbler - Black
- Second on this list that we recommend is the Lifetime 80 gallon Compost Tumbler which has also received a number of positive feedback comments in the recent past which will also give you the additional confidence before you buy.
- This is a lot larger that the model outlined above as it has the capacity of 80 gallons so it would be considered an extra-large option if you want to work with higher volumes of compost. The lid here is also removable which helps with the filling and emptying processes that you need to undertake.
- In addition, this model turns on an axle and has the spring-loaded pin to lock rotation during filling for better control while you work and there is also the sturdy 1.25 inch diameter steel tubing frame to provide further stability and sturdiness.
- It is also constructed of UV-protected high-density polyethylene (HDPE) panels, has a 5 year limited warranty and the price is very affordable and has been seen on sale for between $120 to $150 when last checked and can be compared further below. One added bonus here is that there is a how to compost guide included if you decide to buy…
2, The Lifetime 65-Gallon Compost Tumbler - 60028
- At number 4, we have another model under the Lifetime brand and this time it’s the 65-Gallon Compost Tumbler reference number 60028 which is 15 gallons smaller than the 80 gallon model above so it comes with a lower price tag.
- If the 80 gallon is too large, then you should consider the smaller 65 gallon version which works every bit as good but please note that there is the sturdy 1.25 inch diameter steel tubing frame included for additional stability.
- Likewise, it is made from UV-protected high-density polyethylene (HDPE) panels, has a galvanized steel base and the guide for how to compost is included as a small bonus which is great if you are a beginner. The steel frame is also powder coated to prevent any onslaught of rust or corrosion.
- The weight for this particular tumbler is 45 ibs, its size is approx. 36 by 35 by 43 in inches and the price bracket has been seen anywhere from $100 up as far as $140 which can be double checked below if you are interested.
3, The Miracle Gro Dual Chamber Compost Tumbler – 37 Gallon
- At number 5, we have the Miracle Gro Dual Chamber Compost Tumbler which has excellent customer feedback and users are expected to turn it 5 to 6 times every 2 to 3 days to get the best results and to ensure a quick turnaround of compost for your soil.
- Here there are 2 sliding doors, a strong and stable steel frame, its is BPA free and as an added bonus there are free gloves included (Scotts brand) for a limited time. The turnaround time for your compost here generally takes anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks duration and many beginners have praised the ease in which this model can be used for filling and emptying.
- Each chamber can hold 18 and half gallons which is the equivalent of 70 L and this would be considered a more heavy duty option with both chambers allowing you more freedom if you need to add fresh compost while leaving the old compost undisturbed and the overall size is approx. 26 by 32 by 24 in inches and weighs approx. 22 Ibs.
- Price wise it is in line with similar model – doesn’t tend to be lower priced or higher price – it is generally on par with other tumblers we have seen and the price is definitely worth having a closer look at below.
4, The Exaco Mr.Spin Dual Chamber Compost Tumbler - 43 Gallon
- The next model that also deserves a closer look is the Exaco Mr.Spin dual chamber compost tumbler which has a capacity of 43 gallons or 163 L which is balanced on a sturdy tubular steel frame which is resistant to corrosion and rust due to the high quality powder coating. The tubing is 18 gauge or 1.2mm in thickness which is stronger than many others available.
- As standard, there are the 2 chambers where the old compost can be kept separate to the fresh compost and turning is required generally 5 time every 2 or 3 days or twice per day if you have the time for quicker results. The different colored door offers a more attractive look and is easily identifiable and the 43 gallon size is approx. 10% larger than many of the models that you see for sale which tend to be around the 37 gallon mark.
- Please note also that the air vents included are adjustable to allow aeration and decomposition and assembly will only take to around 30 minutes once delivered and no major tools are needed – just a simple screwdriver will do the trick.
- Finally, the weight comes in at 23.5 Ibs, the overall size that you need to know is 26 by 28 by 37 in inches and the price is definitely worth taking a closer look if you think this size will work for you.
5, The Jora Dual Composter Tumbler JK270 – 70 Gallon
- Last on this list is the Jora Composter Tumbler which comes under reference number JK270 which has a capacity of 70 gallons which is the equivalent of 9.4 cubic feet and also has the insulation of 2.16 inch polyethylene plastic and is designed to keep out any potential rodents, pests or vermin.
- The one thing that is available here is the wall mount feature if that was something that you want to consider – please be aware though that the screws will need to be added.
- Included as standard are the dual chambers to keep the fresh and old compost separate and the frame is made from galvanized sheeting which is powder coated to make it resistant to corrosion, rust and degradation. If you needed to add a rust preventative coating or painting in years down the line, that can be done also to provide further protection in the years ahead.
- This model is a lot heavier and larger and comes in at 85 Ibs and the overall size to take note of is 44 by 28 by 52 in inches and the price is a lot higher than many others but is well worth it if you have the additional money to spend.
Need to Look at More Options?
Then take a quick look through some of the popular options provided below...
Finally, it would be greatly appreciated by the community if you can share your own favorite Compost Tumblers and the reasons why by leaving a comment in the comment box below – So that other people in the community can learn also!!!