If you are looking for a reliable and trusted Lawn Edger that will have your garden looking awesome, then take a quick look through this detailed review for the best Lawn Edgers that will not disappoint you and will stand the test of time. We have tested and reviewed several models and have come up with 8 models for you to choose from which also include some low attractive prices.
In brief, Lawn Edgers are tools used in lawns to form distinct boundaries between different lawns and pathways or walkways. They are available in two types, manual and motorized edger. The manual lawn edgers are further divided into manual spade based, manual roller based and hand shears. Motorized edgers are divided into further types which are adaptable string trimmer, single wheel purpose design and multi-wheel purpose design and several types are outlined below.
Before you view the models selected, feel free also to take a look through some helpful tips that may also be of interest to you…
Operational Tips when using Lawn Edgers:
- While you are using a lawn edger you would be working with a metal blade spinning at a very high speed so you have to keep many things in mind for your safety and other people’s safety.
The spinning metal blade can come in contact with anything, so make sure you barricade the area where you are working so that no one is nearby while you are edging and nothing comes in contact with your edger as it can be very dangerous.
- If the edger comes in contact with any stone or sticks the blade will send it flying at a very high speed in any direction and cause damage to your property or injury to bystanders or our beloved ones so make sure to clean all the debris from the lawn first.
- Never leave your engine running when you have to walk away from the edger. You never know what comes near the edger while you are not there. Always turn your engine off and then walk away.
- Another most important thing is that always wear personal protective equipment for your own safety. If you are using powered mowing equipment always wear strong boots, gloves, safety glasses and ear protection from the loud noise of your equipment.
Frequently Asked Questions about Lawn Edgers:
Q. How often should you edge your lawn?
A. It depends on the growth of your lawn. If your lawn grows faster than you need to edge and mow frequently for a finished look – most likely once per month
Q. How deep should the garden edges should be?
A. The depth of the edges should be one inch extra. If you are using a four inch blade then the depth should be five inches.
Q. What level of warranty is available?
A. This will vary based on the brand, examples the Poulan and Southland models outlined below have a 2 year warranty while the last model has 5 years
Best Lawn Edgers Review - What we Found to Give the Neatest Finish!
1, The Black + Decker 12 Amp 2 in 1 Landscaper Edger & Trencher - LE750
- First on this list for you to consider is the Black and Decker12 Amp 2 in 1 Landscaper Edger & Trencher - in brief Black + Decker is an American manufacturer of power tools, accessories, hardware and their headquarters is in Towson Maryland. They started as a small Baltimore machine shop and in March 2010 Black and Decker merged with Stanley works.
- It is one of the best-selling products online and offline and the assembly of this edger is very quick and easy, with the help of instruction guidelines it can be assembled in twenty to thirty minutes. The depth setting features allow you to adjust the depth of the blade according to your need. As in some areas you need edges with less depth and the edging should always be started with the lowest depth and then gradually change it as required.
- The edger can be set up in two modes i.e. Edge mode or trench mode. Trenching is to dig a sharp channel let’s say for installing underground waves etc. This is a supplementary feature along with edging and the gird plate changes its position for edge or trench.
- In addition, the 12 amp high torque motor in the edger allows you to tackle overgrown edges creating a defined trench. It comes with built-in cord retention to help keep the extension cord secure and this edger comes with an additional replacement blade to replace the previous blade in case of any damage. In terms of pricing, it tends to be available in the $70 to $100 when last seen on sale
2, The Weed Eater Poulan 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment - PP1000E
- The second model that we recommend is the Weed Eater Poulan 7-Inch Pro Lawn Edger Attachment model number PP1000E and it is an edge trimmer attachment and can be easily attached right to most popular branded weed whackers and gas trimmers. It comes with a seven inch blade and the depth you can adjust up to two inches deep and it weighs around 2.38 pounds.
- The blades here can easily be replaced and this edge trimmer can be easily attached by simply just screwing and unscrewing the extension. Once that’s together and locked in securely all you have to do is put some gas in your weed whacker and it will be ready to edge your lawn and give it a neat look.
- It does have a wheel in the rear where you can walk along with the trimmer as well. The trimmer works great if you have edged it before it’s easier to go through smoothly like butter if you haven’t done it before you may have to take a little bit more time just trying to get all that dirt out in between the cement driveway sidewalk and your lawn as well.
- Finally, it’s a simple product that works with major brands trimmers and weed whackers and it is very easy to use and is made with durable construction which comes with a 2 year warranty.
3, The Black + Decker 20V Lithium High Performance Trimmer & Edger - LST420
- Another model from Black + Decker and this time it is the LST 420 20V max Lithium high performance trimmer and edger which has proven to be very popular with excellent customer feedback and positive reviews. This Black and Decker LST 420 edger trimmer is an electric edger and it is one of the newer ones from Black and Decker. LST 420 is about the same size and weight as their old grass hog but it does extend a little further, so if you are taller you can actually trim the lawn without having to stoop over all the time.
- The trimmer head on the LST 420 is similar to most other trimmers except that it has a bright orange wheel on it. This is used for edging but it is also handy when trimming along fences, walls or flat surface. It does not scrape, it just rolls.
- In addition, the LST 420 has a large and comfortable handle with two speed settings on it. In the slower speed, you can get an easy fifty minutes worth of trimming out of it and the higher speed moves faster but burns the battery more.
- The trimmer converts to an edger with a single button and a twist of the shaft. The trimmer has an auto advance feature where the line will automatically advance when you are trimming and the price is always definitely worth taking a closer look at.
4, The Worx 12 Amp 7-1/2 inch 2-in-1 Electric Lawn Edger - WG896
- At number 4, we have the Worx WG896 12A electric lawn edger which is a two in one edger. One thing that we like is that it is a powerful edger and trencher that perform in a professional way and it provides you with clean and neat edges in your lawn against hard surfaces in particular.
- The blade can be adjusted in three adjustable positions. The three blade depths along with cutting line indicators help in getting the best results with precision for your lawn and the cutting depths are one inch, one and half inch and 1-1/4 inch. The diameter of cutting blade is seven and half inches.
- The twelve-amp motor gives you great power for edging and making trenches and the two in one feature saves money and you don’t have to buy two different products for two different jobs.
- Comfort is one of the most important things while you are doing any job. The edger comes with an adjustable shaft that allows users to adjust it according to their height and postures. It allows you to have maximum control and comfort. Worx WG896 12A electric lawn edger has a pivoting handle to give maximum control and comfort and it weighs around sixteen pounds and when last seen on sale, it ranged from $70 to $100 depending on discount activities.
5, The Black + Decker 20V Max Lithium POWERCOMMAND Easy Feed String Trimmer Edger - LSTE523
- This model is somewhat different but should be something that you can consider also as it can also give you the clean edging that you need. Model number LSTE523 from Black + Decker is a 20V Max Lithium POWERCOMMAND Easy Feed String Trimmer Edger that can provide clean and precise edging also so that you have a beautiful neat finish to your lawns edges.
- Some improvements are made from their previous products. First one is the inclusion of a strong lithium battery that lasts longer as compared to other batteries. Two speed features is also included. High speed can be used to cut heavy duty weeds but it will also consume your battery more. The slower speed will allow your battery to last long.
- The Power command gives you additional control of your outdoor equipment with the push of a button and the easy feed string trimmer and edger allows you to easily and reliably trim a line with a simple push of easy feed button that puts control back into your hands without the hassle of bumping.
- With the integrated flip to edge feature it can be converted from trimmer to a wheel edger that supports the weight of the trimmer for the perfect edge along sidewalks, walkways and gardens. The micro texture soft grip gives perfect control and comfort while edging and trimming and provides lots of power that will not let you down.
6, The ATOM Professional Cart Path Edger
- At number 6 we have the Atom professional edger which is an international award winning professional edger. It is powerful, fast, light weight and highly maneuverable and it can edge along footpaths, around tight corners, along curbs and gutters, garden plots and by simply tilting the Adam edger sideways you can trim along walls and fences.
- It can edge in the most difficult areas easily, because the operation is fast and it is easy edging, takes less time which results in savings in labor costs and lower fuel consumption. The 3.5 to one gear reduction provides high torque to the hardened steel cross blades enabling it to cut through tough overgrown grass with ease
- The six-position height adjustment gives up to three inches depth of cut at under twenty pounds or nine kilograms. The Atom edger requires no carrying or bending and there is no strain on the operator’s body. Its seven points anti-vibration system further reduces fatigue or injury on the operator. The operator stands behind the edger away from the rotating blade and with the cross brace providing extra stability and protection the risk of injury is also greatly reduced.
- In addition, the Atom edger can edge up to three hundred feet per minute making it speed ideal for edging long pathways. Numerous safety features include safety throttle interlock a fully enclosed transmission shaft and a safety clutch so the blade does not turn on its startup. The clutch also prevents damage to the machine if the blade strikes a hard surface. A fully enclosed blade guard and debris deflector are also attached to minimize debris deflection and the super strength polyamide casing can withstand six hundred eighty kilograms of weight. The solid steel half inch transmission shaft and spiral bevel gear give performance and power to the blades and the edger is available in two cycle models and four cycle models.
7, The Southland 79cc Walk Behind Gas Lawn Edger - SWLE0799
- Another model that we recommend is the reliable Southland 79cc Walk Behind Gas Lawn Edger with a model number of SWLE0799 which will give a professional landscape look with minimum effort on your end – the machine will do all the work for you quickly and easily so you have time for other chores in your garden.
- The seventy-nine cc OHC engine delivers 3.5 foot pounds of torque and includes manual recoil, an easy start fuel delivery system and due to manual recoil starting the edger is simple and quick. The nine inch triangular three point play can be adjusted to five different depth positions for a maximum cutting depth of two and a half inches. The blade can also be adjusted fifteen degrees up or down for beveled edging.
- Adjustable front and rear wheels provide a curb hopping ability and a sturdy metal frame and blade guard ensure the durability to withstand the challenges of a high maintenance yard and the edger weighs around seventy pounds and of course it is manufactured by Southland Power Equipment.
- Please note that this Southland walk behind lawn edger is designed for durability. It is EPA and CARB certified and the it comes with a two-year warranty so in case of any problem with your edger no need to worry as Southland will be there for your service and customer support.
8, The Earthquake ARDISAM INC Sidewalk Samurai Edger- 23275
- Last on this list that you should consider is the Ardisam INC Sidewalk Samurai Edger model number23275 from Earthquake which include a 4 cycle and a 79cc viper designed engine.
- One thing that you should note is that there is a 5-year warranty included also if you decide to but which gives additional reassurance on the quality and reliability of this particular product. In addition, you get a super pivoting head which gives the ability to work your edging at multiple angles for cutting.
- Included here also is the handy accessory tool holder on the handlebar and there is an awesome protector guard with the chain to prevent any debris or other particles from flying into your direction. As there are 4 wheels, you get more stability which makes it easier to keep the lines straight and please be aware also that this model is powered by gas.
- Finally, please be aware that the maximum edging depth here is 3.5 inches, it operates off a 3400 RPM edger blade and the price tends to be somewhat higher but is well worth it if you have extra money to spend – it was last seen on sale for $200+ which of course can be double checked below.
Finally, it would be greatly appreciated by the community if you can share your own favorite Lawn Edgers and the reasons why by leaving a comment in the comment box below – So that other people in the community can learn also!!!