Greetings once again and welcome to this detailed review for the Best Humidifiers which are available at present and which can be ordered online also and delivered to your home hassle free. This is a review to help you select the best and most suitable humidifier to moisten the air in your home and office. Indoor air can be pretty finicky. Either it’s too humid or too dry, too cold or too hot. Particularly during the winter, people trying to keep warm at home often have to deal with very dry air caused by low humidity levels.
This causes an array of problems, ranging from irritated sinuses to nosebleeds to cracked lips. Fortunately, a humidifier is an affordable solution to add moisture to any indoor environment.
There are quite a few things to consider when picking out a humidifier, such as ease of clean-up (bacteria growth can be a problem for these devices), type (evaporative, ultrasonic, or warm-mist), and size. The most traditional type, evaporative humidifiers, use a reservoir, porous wick, and fan to put moisture in the air. The wick absorbs water from the reservoir, and the fan then aids in evaporation by blowing on the wick.
Ultrasonic humidifiers use high-frequency sound vibrations to create mist and are quieter than other types of humidifiers. Often there’s no filter, which can lead to mineral scale deposits. For smaller areas, warm-mist models are often preferred, as they’re quiet as well. They boil water via an internal heating element, killing bacteria and mold in the process, before dispelling the warm mist into the room.
Helpful tips and points to consider before you but your Humidifier…
Humidifiers don't have to look humdrum. There are lots of models designed with décor in mind. Just remember, form should follow function. When you're shopping, stay focused on models that best suit your room dimensions and space requirements.
Easy to Clean: The key to maintaining a properly functioning humidifier is simple: Keep it clean. So you want one that's easy to maintain. Drain, rinse, and dry it every day. Every week, remove any visible residue with vinegar, disinfect with a bleach solution following the manufacturer's instructions, then rinse thoroughly. Do the same before and after storing your humidifier for the season. The bottom line is: regular, frequent cleaning is a must to ensure the moisture it puts out is safe to breathe.
Ease of Use: A table top or console humidifier should be easy to move and clean. The tank should fit easily beneath your bathroom faucet. With evaporative models, the wick should be easy—and economical—to replace. Look for user-friendly controls and clearly visible displays of humidity level and settings.
Humidistat: Some humidifiers have a humidistat that shuts off the unit when it reaches a pre-set humidity level. Models without a humidistat can raise the humidity so much that it causes condensation on windows. If you model doesn't have one, consider purchasing a separate hygrometer to monitor humidity levels.
Timer: You can program some table top and console models to turn on at a set time, so that your room is at the right humidity when you get home. But this convenience might pose a problem: Water that sits in the tank for hours can breed microbes if you don't dry the humidifier thoroughly between uses.
Controlling Moisture Output: While some humidifiers are basic in moisture control with two or three variable fan speeds, others may have a built-in hygrometer to indicate the moisture level in the room and a humidistat that you can set for the unit to cycle on/off to maintain the proper level. Unless you want to monitor the room’s moisture level and adjust settings to maintain it, these measurement features are very handy and worth the extra cost.
Refilling Convenience: Portable room units are sold in varying sizes of water reservoirs, from 1 litre to 5 gallons or larger. This is a convenience factor - how often do you want to refill it? A 2-gallon will usually run for 12 or more hours on low, but a 1 litre will require refilling every 8 hours or so. Runtime will decrease substantially if the unit is operated on high and how dry the air is will also affect how fast moisture is added to the room. Packaging or product description will usually denote how long the unit will run on a filling.
Operation Noise Level & Settings: Expect some operating noise from a humidifier, but if the unit is for a bedroom, you may want to look for one with a low, night or silent setting. This being said, my silent model is not really that quiet, but we adapted quickly to it. It actually helps to 'drown' out other household noises.
You should have at least two settings on the unit, high and low options. Ultrasonic humidifiers are considered the quietest to operate since there is no boiling of water (hissing) and moisture is expelled in a very fine mist.
Regular Maintenance & Warranty: All humidifiers require regular cleaning to reduce bacterial growth. Check the product information as some models have dishwasher-safe water reservoirs, which make cleaning easier. The base of the unit also requires a manual cleaning regularly. Warranties are generally 1 year, but there are some models with longer periods. These units are affordable and replacement usually is more economical than trying to get it serviced after the warranty expires.
Safety Shut Off & Other Features: Digital controls offer more convenience. Many models have safety features where the unit will shut off automatically when the water reservoir is empty - a must-have feature. If you cannot tell from the packaging, this is certainly worth asking the retailer. Otherwise, you need to be diligent to shut it off when it runs dry. Another great feature is a built-in humidistat which regulates the operation to maintain the set humidity level in your home.
Benefits of Changing Humidifier Filters: Most room humidifiers have filters. Evaporative models have wick filters that trap dust and particles. Some units have two-stage filtration which is important for removing allergens. Mineral deposits in the water form a white dust that accumulates on the furniture in the room, but some filters will trap these deposits and reduce the presence of dust in the moisture that is expelled to the room. Those with hard water may benefit from using distilled water in their humidifiers, reducing the build-up of scale and mineral deposits.
Frequently Asked Questions for Humidifiers….
Q. Why do I need a humidifier?
A. Humidifiers increase the humidity level in dry indoor areas by dispersing a delicate, invisible mist into the space. This extra boost of moisture comes in handy during winter when heaters Asthma Interrupting Sleep used for warmth can strip homes of much-needed humidity. In fact, dry air can lead to: Bloody noses / Cracked lips / Itchy skin / Irritated throats / Allergy symptoms / Asthma flare-ups
Q. How much space do I need to humidify?
A. Deciding whether you need focused humidification for a single room or whole house humidification is one of the most important steps in choosing a humidifier. To add moisture to a small Living Room or medium-sized area such as a bedroom or home office, a table top humidifier - also known as a room humidifier - is the best choice. These lightweight humidifiers, can be easily moved to other areas as necessary. Plus, many models can operate up to 24 hours before requiring a water refill. Single room humidifiers are also available with germ protection, multiple speeds, built-in hygrometers, combination warm or cool mist outputs, easy-to-use controls, and low water indicators.
Q. What type of humidifier do I want?
A. Humidifiers add moisture to the air in different ways and are available in multiple types with varying benefits and drawbacks. Cool mist humidifiers disperse a room-temperature mist and generally cover larger areas and use less electricity than other types. Warm mist humidifiers use a heating element to heat the water and release it into your room as warm, comfortable moisture. Warm mist models may use slightly more electricity than other types of humidifiers because they heat water to boiling. However, they may produce healthier moisture because the boiling process kills germs and impurities before they can be released into your room. Ultrasonic humidifiers are available in both cool and warm mist types and are known as the quietest humidifiers on the market.
Q. How much maintenance is required?
A. Humidifiers are relatively low-maintenance devices. Regular maintenance activities usually include cleaning the water tank to ensure that mold, mildew, and bacteria aren't growing inside and re-circulating throughout your environment. Plus, misting outlets should be checked to make sure that moisture can flow easily. While these activities are common to the vast majority of humidifiers, many cool mist humidifiers use an internal wick filter to help create the soothing mist that blankets your environment. These wick filters will need to be periodically replaced. Check your humidifier owner's manual to learn about a humidifier's maintenance requirements.
Q. Is noise a concern?
A. Like many mechanical devices, you can expect your humidifier to make a little noise. However, some humidifiers make more noise than others. For areas like bedrooms and home offices that require a quieter environment, an ultrasonic humidifier is the perfect solution. Ultrasonic humidifiers use high-frequency sound waves to vibrate a metal diaphragm at ultrasonic frequencies, which creates a fine, soothing mist. Since the sound waves are higher than we can hear, these humidifiers are significantly quieter than other humidifier models.
Best Humidifiers Review - Our Top Picks for You
1, The Sunbeam Cool Mist Humidifier (SCM1100-WM)
- This Humidifier under the Sunbeam brand will improve your air quality with get rid of any dry air in your vicinity. It is a one-gallon cool mist model with a triple layer filter enhanced with arm and hammer baking soda for all kinds of antimicrobial treatments
- The cap is also designed to hold and aromatherapy tablets so you can add whatever scent you desire in your rooms.
- The tank can be easily removed for cleaning or filling up and you also get a reminder dial when the filter needs to be changed.
- Generally, you will get a 24 hour runtime for the 1 gallon of water, it has 2 speed settings and can be used in any room.
- The size is only 14.76 by 11.2 by 11.89, it weighs approx. 5 oz and is available for sale at a competitive price below.
2, The MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier
- The MistAire Ultrasonic Mist Humidifier is the best way to turn the dry air into your room to a humid air in a matter of minutes. be it your office or your home MistAire is a workhorse, a powerful machine which looks good as it also performs efficiently improving the air quality quickly.
- It has a large 1.5-liter tank that has an output of 150 milliliters per hour making it the perfect device moisturize the room and relieve the symptoms associated with dry air.
- It can operate for a 16 hour continuously on a low setting and can ensure a good night sleep without interruptions.
- The Ultrasonic Cool Mist has a simple one-button operation. Also, it stops operating automatically when its water tank goes empty. Its nozzle can be rotated 360 degrees, so that you can direct the moist air where needed. It also has a blue nightlight.
- While the humidifier is easy enough to fill its small opening makes cleaning slightly difficult. Also included AC power adapter, disk cleaning brush, user manual, a 2 Year Warranty with full customer support if needed.
3, The URPOWER Ultrasonic Humidifier (MH501)
- If you operator a heater in your room in winter then most likely your air is dry and you should need a humidifier to improve the air quality in your room. The URPOWER 5L Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier can solve the humidity problem in your room easily and efficiently.
- This humidifier operates on the principle of ultrasonics and it generates a cool mist of vapor. Some users add some pepper mint oil to the water for a soothing effect.
- You can run it at night and don’t worry if the water runs out it will shut down automatically. It is an ecstatically good looking device, functional and efficient. It can use up to 350 ml of water per hour and can run for 17 hours continuously.
- This humidifier operates quite silently and without any flashing lights or sounds so you can a peaceful night of sleep.
4, The VAVA Cool Mist Humidifier
- If you travel around a lot then surely you encounter hotel rooms where the air quality is not up to the mark especially in winter the air is very low in humidity. That is where VAVA Cool Mist Humidifier can be very useful. It is a portable humidifier which you can take along with you on your travels. It sleek slim units which weighs only 60 ounces and can easily fit in your luggage.
- The VAVA Cool Mist Humidifier has an easy-to-use knob control to mist as per your requirements. It is quite noise-free and has a 1.8L tank. For safety it automatically shutting off when the water tank is empty.
- It is a very smart looking device which looks like a decoration piece on your table or mantle, through refilling it water is sometimes difficult.
- This humidifier will make your breathing easier and your skin better for a very peaceful night in a hotel room. The nozzle can be rotated full 360degrees and there is the LED indicator to tell you it’s status in a simple way.
5, The Honeywell Mistmate Ultrasonic Humidifier (HUL520W)
- This model under the Honeywell brand is extremely popular and will not let you down with it’s ultrasonic humidification technology
- Ideally, this model will work best in your smaller type room or living space and the one advantage here is that there is no filter required.
- The tank capacity is smaller also with just a half gallon and the level of output can be controlled through the products settings which are very easy to adjust
- The noise level here is ultra-quiet so that you won’t be disturbed and when used on the low setting, it will operate for 18 hours before you need to refill (it shuts off automatically when empty)
- It weighs approx. 4 Ibs and you get a 2-year warranty when you buy...
6, The Essick Air AIRCARE Whole-House Console-Style Evaporative Humidifier MA1201
- This humidifier looks great and works even better. It is a unique design that adds moisture to the room air flowing of dry air over a wick of moist wick with water. This means there is no boiling of water nor an ultrasonic noise, however the it has a relatively high fan noise which some find quite high while others just ignore it as white noise.
- The Essick Air Aircare MA1201 is a powerful humidifier which can cover a large area up to 3600 sq feet, which mean almost an entire floor of a medium sized house. It has a huge 3.6-gallon tank which may require frequent refilling because of its very high output of about 12 gallons of water per day.
- This unit can be set to operate at a set humidity and it will automatically maintain that humidity. There is also a variable speed fan setting to let to control the equipment according to your needs.
- Other features include quiet night time setting, auto shut off and filter check and water refill indicators. Its controls are simple and it has side-mounted water tank which is easy to remove, fill, and clean.
- Overall a great product, which can efficiently and economically control the humidity of your house.
7, The Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier with Auto Shut-Off - 1 Gallon
- The Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier emits warm mists of water vapor, so this is a great option for winters. It can cover a large area though it does have a relatively smaller water tank so will need more frequent re-filling. The technology used in this humidifier is that of actually boiling water to produce steam.
- This steam is emitted through its openings to produce a bacteria and germ free vapor in your environment for up to 12 hours in one filling of the water tank. This humidifier has a auto shut of option that you can program to shut down the unit while you are asleep.
- This the unit is made by Vicks it also has an option to add Vicks VapoSteam, so that this medicinal steam goes directly to your lungs to provide a soothing relief form chest congestion and other conditions.
- The water tank is easy to clean as it may produce mold and mildew because of the release of hot steam from its nozzles. It has a lot of health benefits to those who need its medicinal effects especially in the cold winter months.
- Price wise – the last time I looked it was available for less than $60 and can be checked below
8, The TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier with LED Display
- The TaoTronics Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier has everything you need in a humidifier and that too at a very reasonable price. It operates in almost a stealth mode so it is very quiet and it is ideal for your bedroom and a peaceful sleep.
- The unit has 2 nozzles that spray the vapor mist in 2 different directions thereby a much more even distribution of vapor in the room. It has a large 3.5 liter water tank which will allow continuous operation for about 10 hours and once the water is exhausted it will automatically shut off. This safety feature improves the life of the unit as well as reduces any other safety concerns.
- The humidifier is easy to operate and easy to re-fill with water. The unit can be operated at 3 levels of mist amount. Even at the lowest setting it produces sufficient amount of mist.
- And at the highest setting the room quickly attains reasonable level of humidity which is great for comfort.
- Overall users say that this humidifier has greatly improved the air quality and thereby quality of life with less stuffy noses and easier breathing. You will surely wake up afresh while the humidifier had been hard at work during the night.
9, The Honeywell UV Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier (HCM350W)
- This humidifier under the Honeywell brand is HCM350 germ free with cool mist and will perform quietly as though it were not even there in the first place.
- It has a tank capacity of 1 gallon and provides 99% germ free humidification that you can rely on.
- The operation is also very easy as it is just a matter of adding water and plugging it in and let it do its work – the water hole is also larger enough to prevent any unnecessary spillages.
- Cleaning is quite easy, it has dishwasher safe parts and will sort out any mold, bacteria or fungus that may be on the water with its ultraviolet light inside the unit.
- There are 3 speed settings and it will adjust itself to the temperature of the room automatically and the tank is durable and break resistant. It is also available in both white and black colors and will run for 24 hours on the lowest setting and there is also a 3 year warranty available when you buy.
10, The Holmes 1.5 Gal. Cool Mist Console Humidifier
- This popular Humidifier from the brand of Holmes weighs only 9 Ibs and the size comes in at just 17.5'' H by 14.4'' W by 12.8'' in inches
- The Holmes Humidifier will also protect you and your family from dry air and improve its quality for you to enjoy especially during the tougher months of the year.
- Included here also is the water filtration system to remove any debris or impurities in the water and has an anti-microbial agent to prevent any buildup of mold, bacteria or mildew that may occur.
- The capacity of the tank is 1,5 gallons, t has 3 speed settings and can also be used in larger type rooms.
- One point to consider is that there is no filter included so that will need to be sourced separately. It also has 3 different fan speeds and you get a 1 year warranty if you choose to buy.
- Lastly then the other major attraction here is the low price which can be viewed on sale
On a final note, the Humidifier is known to be a device that is used to keep the air in a room from getting dried. It may come in very handy in winters and falls as dried air leads to different kinds of respiratory ailments and other issues which may get complicated over time. Evaporative humidifiers are a great solution for adding much needed humidity to dry indoor air. By raising indoor relative humidity levels to 43% or above, 86% of airborne flu virus particles are rendered ineffective.Maintaining proper humidity levels also helps treat allergy symptoms by soothing dryness, itchiness, and irritation in the nose, nasal passages, sinuses, mouth, throat, and eyes. Many people think pet hair is the cause of allergies, but in reality, the cause of allergens from pets is actually from their dander. We have a good selection of humidifiers reviewed above and one of them is bound to fit your needs.
It would also be greatly appreciated if you can share your own personal experiences with your favorite Humidifiers with the community by leaving a comment in the comment box below – So that other people in the community can learn also!
Finally, I hope this review, tips and FAQ on the best Humidifiers has helped you out and best of luck with your final decision.