If you are looking for a trimmer to look after your hedges that have grown out of control, then please take a look at this brief review for the Best Hedge Trimmers which are available to buy online at present and delivered to your home hassle free in just a matter of a few days.
In brief, a Hedge trimmer is a gardening tool used for trimming hard hedges and shrubs and it is also called a shrub trimmer or a bush trimmer by many. There are many different types of manual and powered versions of hedge trimmers available such as the stand-alone hedge trimmers and also then the tractor mounted hedge trimmers. The power source of stand-alone hedge trimmers can be electricity or gasoline and some also has the ability to be extended to reach higher hedges. In this review we will have 8 models to recommend to you and some also include very low prices which also make them very attractive if you need to work on a lower level budget.
Operational Tips when using or buying a Hedge Trimmer:
- There are essentially two types of hedge trimming tasks. Formal hedges: where you are trimming predominantly in horizontal and vertical lines, and informal hedges where you are sculpturing each plant and a more rounded look.
- Formal hedges are closely spaced shrubs to form a barrier or mark the boundary of an area. With routine formal hedge trimming you will just be cutting away the new growth and most likely you will be doing more precise trimming benefitting from a light weight trimmer.
- Landscape or informal trimming refers to individual shrubs and bushes that need to be sculptured as compared to a formal type of hedge trimming. These two will be primarily the cutting of new growth if maintained rarely; when cutting back to a more manageable size.
- When selecting your hedge trimmer; know the size of your yard. If you have a very large yard and an electrical outlet is not within the area to be trimmed then it best to use a cordless model where you have the freedom of no extension cord and an advantage of a light weight product. You can insert additional battery packs if more runtime is needed.
- If you have smaller shrubs to trim and sculpt; choose a shorter blade that is easier to handle and maneuver.
- Plan ahead if you are planning to let the shrubs grow. Be sure to buy the right trimmer for what size you expect them to be.
- Very tall shrubs require more reach to perform the trimming tasks, for these larger shrubs look for a telescoping or a long reach pole type hedge trimmer. Most of these types of trimmers allow you to reach ten feet or more without a ladder.
- It is also essential to familiarize yourself with all the controls before starting. Inspect the hedge to be trimmed, check that there are no wires electric cables or any other obstructions running through it. Clear the work area and remove trip hazards.
- Remove the protective sheath from the blades and ensure that the machine is switched off before removing the sheath. Also ensure that cuttings fall away from you. If you encounter a thick stem stop the hedge trimmer and use a pruning tool to cut through the obstruction. Never try to over reach or work above your chest height.
Frequently asked Questions:
Q. When should you cut the hedges?
A. Autumn and spring is the best time to cut hedges but it is ok to cut a healthy hedge at any time. Maintenance can be done all around the year.
Q. How often hedges should be cut?
A. It is recommended to cut hedges once or twice a year for healthy growth and thickening of the hedge. After the healthy hedge is grown regular maintenance will keep it healthy.
Best Hedge Trimmers Reviewed (8 Models to Choose From)
1, The Black + Decker 40-Volt High Performance Cordless Hedge Trimmer - LHT2436
- Black and Decker is an American manufacturer of power tools, accessories, hardware. There headquarter is in Towson Maryland and they started as a small Baltimore machine shop. In March 2010 Black and Decker merged with Stanley works.
- Black and Decker 40V Lithium ion twenty four inch hedge trimmer is part of the 40V cordless family of lithium-ion battery powered products from Black and Decker. These products give extreme power for work and this twenty four inch hedge trimmer offers power, runtime, and versatility all without the weight, noise and hassle of gas powered equipment.
- The forty volt max lithium ion rechargeable battery delivers high power with a long runtime and cuts up to six thousand square feet of edge per charge. The battery features a state of charge indicator and this hedge trimmer offers more cutting force to cut twice as many branches at one time with its power drive transmission. It could even cut through thick overgrowth and the twenty four inch dual action blade quickly cut branches up to three quarters of an inch thick.
- You will appreciate its hardened steel dual action blade that allows for less vibration while trimming and staying sharper for long period of time. Its full wrap around handle provides a comfortable grip at any angle and the price has been seen between $90 to $130 when last seen at Walmart which can be double checked below…
2, The Black + Decker 20V MAX Lithium POWERCOMMAND Powercut Hedge Trimmer - LHT321FF
- The LHT321FF 20V MAX lithium power command hedge trimmer is part of the newest line of twenty volt lithium ion tools. This hedge trimmer comes with power command technology to give you additional control of your outdoor power equipment with just a push of button.
- This new power cut hedge trimmer puts added cutting control in your hands with the power cut feature combine with a three quarter inch cut capacity. If you are working in your yard with the trimmer and the trimmer gets stuck in a thick branch then no need to worry because the trimmer comes with a power cut feature.
- This feature allows you to power through a tough cut or jam with push of a button. These power command tools are compatible with all of your twenty volt max lithium ion batteries delivering power and versatility without the hassles of gas operated tools.
- The trimmer has three main features of easy feed, power cut and power boost and the price level is lower than one would expect for a tool of this quality.
3, The Snow Joe Sun Joe Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear Hedge Trimmer, 7.2V - HJ604C
- The Snow Joe Sun Joe HJ604C Lithium-Ion Cordless Grass Shear Hedge Trimmer is a two in one hedge trimmer. It is the best tool used for small purposes and very helpful in small gardens and it is also the best tool for small gardens where bigger tools and mower cannot reach. You can groom your hedging and get your shrubs in shape with Hedger Joe HJ604C grass shear with hedge trimmer from Sun Joe.
- Now those post mowing touch-ups and tight spaces can be made fast and easy with this hedger. It comes with a 7.2 volt lithium ion battery, power up instantly with the push of a button and start sharing or shrugging without the inconvenience of a gas engine or cord. The rechargeable battery power makes it eco friendly and maintenance free so you will never need to deal with gas, oil costly seasonal tune ups or toxic hydrocarbon emissions
- This hedger features an interchangeable blade system that easily converts from a grass shear to a hedge trimmer. Both the four inch grass shear blade and the six inch hedge trimmer blades are constructed of durable steel for long lasting and reliable performance.
- It weighs just two and half pounds so, it is easy to handle and effortless to control whether you are shrub tidying or shearing. It also has a built in feature for safety and prevents accidental starting. It comes with a ETL approved two year warranty and the price is always worth a closer look.
4, The Sun Joe Electric Hedge Trimmer 22-Inch 3.5 Amp - HJ22HTE
- At number 4, we have the Sun Joe HJ22HTE electric hedge trimmer which is one of the company’s best performing product. This trimmer is a very useful tool to have in your tool collection for your lawn and yards and have received numerous positive customer reviews
- If your shrubs are out of shape and your hedges need a haircut then Sun Joe HJ22HTE twenty two electric hedge trimmers is one of the best tool for you. You can count on this trimmer to put your yard back in top condition with reliable results you can see every time.
- The trimmer 3.5 amp motor and forged iron blades provide the power and precision you demand to tackle your toughest shrub and hedge trimming tasks. The twenty two inch dual action blades cut efficiently in both directions while providing up to forty percent less vibration than single action blades lightweight, ergonomic and easy to maneuver.
- The trimmer is very light weight with just five pounds this hedge trimmer will become your go to tool to cut cleanly and comfortably through twigs, hedges, bushes and shrubs. It is ecofriendly and electric for unlimited run time. It comes with a dual headed safety switch virtually eliminates dangerous accidental starts for enhanced user safety. It has a complete two year warranty for a worry free performance you can count on season after season and the price is very low and has been seen in sale between $25 to $50 which can be checked below if you are interested in taking a look.
5, The Greenworks 24V 22-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer, 2Ah Battery and Charger Included - HT24B10
- The next trimmer that you should consider is the Greenworks 24V 22-Inch Cordless Hedge Trimmer with the 2Ah battery and charger included. Greenworks Tools is one of the best leading companies in battery powered outdoor tools for consumers and landscaping professionals and the company distributes branded products for extensive network of manufacturers.
- They have a robust line of branded tools including twenty to eighty volts battery and commercial grade eighty two volt battery power equipment and a full line of corded equipment. They offer the right tool for every job. The Greenworks twenty two inch 24V cordless trimmer is powered by a twenty four volt lithium ion battery which is compatible for both indoor and outdoor tools.
- The one hundred and eighty degree rotating rear handle design provides with easy trimming at multiple angles with wrapped around auxiliary handle for user comfort and the twenty two inch dual action blade is best for optimal performance and aluminum rail cover helps in safe storage and transportation. To safely start the trimmer, first grip it by holding both the auxiliary and rear handles, then pull back on the lock off button located on the top of the rear handle and hold it in place.
- Squeeze the trigger switch located directly under the rear handle grip, release the lock off button but keep the trigger switch squeezed. To turn off the trimmer simply release the trigger switch. The price range can be anywhere from $100 to $140 when we last seen the sales price which depends on ongoing discount activities.
6, The EGO Power+ 24-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer
- At number 6, we have the EGO Power+ 24-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-ion Cordless Hedge Trimmer. The Ego fifty six volt power plus hedge trimmer can trim and shear with ease, outpacing most gas trimmers with up to an hour of run time. The twenty four inch dual action blade allows you to work around shrubs and bushes in hard to reach areas.
- The battery of this hedge trimmer is designed to effortlessly switch the batteries between tools and it allows you to continue working and never stop working. It gives you run time of up to one hour which is plenty of run time to get the job done.Now you don’t have to worry about the extension cords and to carry the cord around while you are working. The hazard of accidentally cutting the wire or tripping hazard is also eliminated, thanks to the cordless feature in Ego cordless hedge trimmer.
- Forget about the massive extension cords and feel the freedom of working around the yard with great power. The electronic brake system stops blade action quickly for improved control.
- This hedge trimmer is so easy to use that a quick touch up can be achieved in seconds. Fifty six volts of lithium ion power give you everything you need to maintain your yard on your terms. Ego power plus hedge trimmer is part of ego power plus system and is one that definitely needs a closer look by you.
7, The Sun Joe 4 Amp 21 inch. Multi-Angle Telescoping Pole Hedge Trimmer - SJH902
- The next model is for the higher hedges – you can give your tallest hedges clean up edges with the SJH902E with multi-angle telescoping electric pole hedge trimmer from Sun Joe.
- The Sun Joe sturdy 7.9 foot extension pole provides an impressive overhead reach up to thirteen feet to groom higher and sweep further with each pass for perfectly sheared shrubs while you stand safely on solid ground. Simply select the optimal angle desired for professional results of the precise trimming of most tall bushes and hedges. Just squeeze the trigger and tackle those tough to reach overgrown bushes and small branches
- The hedge trimmer comes with a four amp motor coupled with a durable twenty one inch dual action rust resistant steel blade and multi angle adjustable pivoting head let you do the work of a crew and one powerful tool. It is also a great choice to trim in tight spaces where a traditional hedge clipper simply can’t cut it, like between the hounds and hedges.
- The quick release safety strap helps reduce operator fatigue while in use and the built in safety switch prevents accidental start and it’s all backed by a complete two year warranty. Pricewise it is very good and tends to be anywhere from $60 to $90 when we last seen it on sale with Walmart.
8, The Poulan Pro 22 inch 23cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer - PR2322
- The last hedge trimmer for today for you to consider is the gas powered Poulan Pro 22 inch 23cc 2-Cycle Gas Hedge Trimmer which comes under reference model number PR2322 and has received countless positive reviews from previous buyers and users in the past.
- This trimmer has a full crank and the 2 cycle engine which gives plenty of power for the thicker and more difficult hedges for trimming and cutting. The blades which are serrated are made from stainless steel and are dual sided which has the ability to cut limbs that are up to 1 inch in thickness.
- The length of this blade is 22 inches long and weighs between 11 and 12 Ibs which is manageable and wont effect your arm fatigue all that much. One thing to know also is that it has the anti-vibration feature for added comfort when in use. Please note also that there is the rotating rear handle with comfort grip for controlled cutting at any angle you want or desire.
- Please note also that the overall size here comes in at 48 by 10 by 15 in inches and the price bracket tends to be in the $100 to $130 region when we last seen it on sale which is dependent and subject to any ongoing promotional discounting activities
While you are here, feel free also to compare prices further by clicking on any of the Hedge Trimmer images provided below…
Finally, it would be greatly appreciated by the community if you can share your own Hedge Trimming experiences good or bad by leaving a comment in the comment box below – So that other people in the community can learn also!!