If you need to know some of the Best Composting Bins that are available in the marketplace then look no further as we have 7 models outlined here that can meet your requirements and your expectations. Composting is a decomposition process which requires air to decompose organic solid wastes into humus-like materials which is called compost. It is used to recycle organic materials. The composting is rising and recent research shows that in the year of 2012 the U.S recycled and composted approximately 87 million tons of solid waste. Many kinds of composting bins are used for this purpose to produce compost from solid wastes whereas compost is a good fertilizer for plants, in fact, compost is one of the best supplements you can provide to your garden. A number of types of compost bins are available in the market, depending on different factors depending on the needs of the user, the capacity, the raw wastes composition and the conditions provided to produce a useful compost fertilizer.
Operational Tips when using Composting Bins:
It's not an easy task to select a perfect composter which will work best for your garden to and provide it with natural nutrients. Mainly these three factors should be considered while purchasing a new composting bin:
The area or location where you are living, what you are going to be composting and whether you want to roll your compost by hand or not.
Following steps should be taken to make excellent compost material
- To add nitrogen contents grass clippings are necessary and mix them with brown materials which add carbon contents to the compost. These both materials are a mandatory part for fast decomposition and rich compost. The piles which are made of grass only can compact, slow down the composting process and can stink easily.
- When adding materials make sure that do not add fats, pet droppings, and animal products as these can attract pests to the pile and can lead to diseases.
- Paper that comes from old newspapers or plain white paper from the computer is excellent material for composting but they must be shredded first to speed up the decomposition process.
- Try to make sure that compost materials should be added in layers, in irregular manners of moist and dry. Wet components are food scraps, tea bags, seaweed, etc whereas dry resources are straw, leaves, sawdust pellets and wood ashes.
- Don't forget to add water to your compost irregularly, or let rain perform the task.
- After every few weeks, you have to give the pile a fast turn with a pitchfork or shovel. This aerates the pile. Oxygen should be provided for the process to work quickly, and turning adds the oxygen to it.
- Mixing or turning the compost pile is the key element to aerating the composting progression and speeding the decomposition to its completion rapidly. If you are going to buy a composter, you may consider a rotating compost tumbler which makes it easy to mix the compost frequently.
- It might be a problem if you are living in an urban area, the unpleasant odors from compost pile can affect your neighbors living close by. You can diminish or eradicate odors by not putting bones or meat scraps into the compost. You must cover new additions to the compost pile with dry grass clippings or similar mulch. If you add lime or calcium it will also neutralize odors.
Some Frequently Asked Questions about Compost Bins:
Q: What should not be added into the composting bin?
A: Do not add meat, bones, or fish scraps as they can attract pests easily except if you are using a composter designed particularly for this reason. You should also avoid composting weeds or diseased plants since you might spread weed seeds or diseases when spreading your compost. It is also recommended not to use pet manures in compost that will be used on food crops.
Q: What is a Soggy Compost Pile?
A: In winter when carbon based materials are in shortage, compost becomes soggy, this is a common problem. You can solve this issue by making balance in carbon-nitrogen of compost.
Q: What are the carbon-rich materials for compost?
A: These are the carbon-rich materials are: Cardboard (free of dyes), Cornstalks, Fruit waste, Leaves, Newspaper, Peat Moss, Straw, Sawdust, Stems & Twigs.
Best Composting Bins Reviewed (7 models)
1, The Yimby Tumbler Composter - Black
- The Yimby Tumbler Composter is a unique tumbling composter which has two chambers. You can fill its one side while the other side cures, that makes it easy to proficiently translate your kitchen and yard waste into rich soil enhancing compost.
- Just load it up, close the sliding door and use the convenient built-in hand holds to give it a turn every couple days and see how it produces finished compost in weeks and you have to assemble it in your garden area. The plus point is that you don't need to do digging and mixing your compost pile by hand. The special design of this machine makes mixing simple and proficient, you just have to close the door and turn it 5-6 times for 2-3 days.
- In hot sunny conditions and with a proper balance of ingredients the compost can finish in as little as 2 weeks and the use of this composter bin is very easy, especially if you are a beginner, you can handle the large openings and doors quite easily as its handles are very ergonomically designed.
- The total capacity of this bin is about 37 gallons and the dimensions of the composter are 36 by 31 by 28 inches. The weight of this unit comes in at 26.4 pounds and it is made with excellent durable materials that will not degrade under the direct sunlight. Price is generally seen as being very competitive also.
2, The Miracle Gro Dual Chamber Compost Tumbler - Outdoor & Easy Turn
- The next Composter that you should take a closer look at is the Miracle Gro Dual Chamber Compost Tumbler which has the east turn system, 2 sliding doors and a solid strong steel frame. In terms of size, it comes in at 25.6 by 32.3 by 23.6 in inches and the weight is also approx. 22 pounds
- It has 2 chambers for you to work with – you apply the compost to one side and then collect from the other side. This is a great model for beginners and doesn’t require any heavy lifting or mixing by hand.
- In addition, it is also ideal for all seasons and BPA free and you also get a free set of gardening gloves when last seen on sale. This model would be seen a heavy duty composter by many users in the past and will give a dense fertilizer full of nutrients for your garden.
- Generally, after using the mixing chamber you can expect to have perfect compost in only a 4 to 6 week period and the price tends to be reasonable based on the quality of the product you get which of course can be double checked below.
3, The Envirocycle Cutest Composter – Pink Mini Composter
- This is one of the cutest and beautiful compost bin is the Envirocycle composting bin which is made in the USA. Envirocycle is the pioneer in the composting containers and bins ad it is specially designed with innovation for your home gardens either you are living in the urban or suburban areas. It is a compact size which has a tea collecting base that is a very special feature comparing with other models designed by Envirocycle.
- The benefit of this composting bin is that it brings beauty to your living areas within your house and it consists of a compost tumbler drum with tea maker base which is made from rust-free materials.
- In addition, the drum rotations on the top to make solid compost and on user selection you can collect the extra liquid from the drum as compost tea which is a valuable liquid fertilizer.
- In terms of size, the composter dimensions are 19 by 18.8 by 21.5 inches with a weight of 13.8 pounds and please note also that there is no need to assemble it.
4, The Algreen Products Soil Saver Classic Compost Bin
- Here we have the Algreen composting bin which produces high organic dark compost humus in 6-8 weeks from kitchen food wastes and garden scraps. It saves money by reducing curbside pickup and landfill wastes and it makes rich organic soil for healthier plants and gardens which helps the environment that's why its named soil saver.
- You can save up to 30% of household waste while saving money on applicable curbside pickup costs and it is made of BPA free 100 percent recycled materials. It has a locking self-watering lid that keeps animals out while openings permit air to move through composter to accelerate the composting process.
- There are also large openings which make for easy access and 2 sliding doors make the exclusion of compost easy and expedient. The high thickness and high-quality constructions help to produce and heat to decompose the composting materials to produce rich soil nutrients.
- The capacity here of this unit is 12.65 gallons and the product dimensions of the unit are 28 by 28 by 32 in inches. It comes with a guide to inform the users what should not be added in composting materials to reduce the odor the compost and finally the weight of this unit is 27 pounds.
5, The Lifetime 80 Gallon Compost Tumbler - 60058
- Next on the list for you to consider is the Lifetime 60058 Compost Tumbler which is an excellent composting machine and has a capacity of 80-gallons (10.72 cubic feet). It is the perfect addition to your garden in the backyard and it can be rotated easily on its axis and the inside aeration bar mixing the compost completely and provide air flow. The lifetime composter is constructed with high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which means that it is made from highly durable material.
- It is UV protected and has double wall panels which can absorb and hold heat and it is also ergonomically designed as it has a big removable lid and a spring loaded pin to lock rotation during the filling process.
- This model is black in color with galvanized steel materials and also included with this purchase is DVD tutorials on how to compost using this bin. You can easily assemble it with the hardware parts included and the dimensions of this composter are 38.5 by 36 by 44 inches and weighs approx. 42 pounds.
- In terms of price and value, when last checked it was selling for between $120 to $150 at Walmart which of course can be double checked below.
6, The Compost Wizard – 12 Cu. Ft.
- This is one the composting bin which is made for pure composting business. It is made of 100 % recycled materials of polyethylene plastic and is resistant to fading and the capacity of this tumbler is 12 cubic foot. This unit is come with a large bin and wheeled base, you can assemble it without any difficulties and it is available in a black color which is efficient to absorb heat for the fast composting process.
- You just need to rotate it once a week for aeration purposes and there is a 16 inch twist-off lid for simple access and security. The end air vents allow more ventilation for it and it has the capacity to be rolled to any place or locations for filling with composting materials. The wheeled base is also very helpful while turning it and its totally detachable.
- Please note also that you don't need to assemble as it comes fully assembled and there is a one-year warranty if you decide to buy. The product dimensions here of this composting unit are 36 by 28 by 29 Inches with a capacity of approx. 90 gallons.
- The price is somewhat higher but is well worth it if you have the extra money to spend. When last checked, the price range was between $180 to $230 with Walmart which depends on ongoing discount activities.
7, The Green Culture Compost Bin – 50 holes
- Last of the list for today is the Green culture composting bin which brings positive effect in the environment and It converts your yard and garden wastes into precious compost for your garden to provide rich nitrogen-carbon nutrients to your plants.
- It is available in black color for heat absorbing and making decomposition rapidly and the product dimensions of this unit are 26 by 26 by 30.75 Inches and it weighs approx. 18.4 pounds.
- You can easily access the contents inside the composter through its doors and removable lid and there are 50 holes which are present to provide oxygen during the composting process. It is made of with plastic materials and has high durability which will stand the test of time.
- The brand name of this Green culture unit is Redmon and the price range tends to be around $50 to $70 when last checked at Walmart – which of course can be double checked below.
In addition, feel free to take a closer look at various popular Compost Bins by clicking on any of the images provided below…
Finally, it would be greatly appreciated by the community if you can share your own favorite Compost Bin and the reasons why by leaving a comment in the comment box below – So that other people in the community can learn also!!!