Updated 2019 - Hello once again and if you are looking for a trusted reliable Chest freezer, then take a quick look through this review which outlines 10 of the Best Chest Freezers which are available across the market which will not let you down.
Freezers are part of the overall kitchen for preserving foods and ingredients you are going to use in the near future. If you have a lot of items that cannot fit in your regular refrigerator, then you should look at getting a separate chest freezer. The upright freezer part attached to your refrigerator can store the occasional meats, vegetables, or frozen waffles, but if you want more space, then the only answer is to get the chest freezer. These freezers units are standalone that has enough space you have on hand to use. With a lot of diverse options, things can get confusing when you are searching for a new freezer to buy. Start with the size you think you require. Chest freezers are measured in cubic feet, and the more volume you get, the more food you can accumulate.
Stationary chest freezers are far more general, available with battery or generator operated freezers present for long camping trips, or road trips and parties. Focus on small details and accessories of freezer models you are going to get. Temperature controls and frost drains are typical features on most freezers, so small differences like build quality and portability might help you make the final selection. These appliances can addition the refrigerator freezer unit you have in your kitchen and ease overloading in that main unit's storage section. Chest freezers are ideal for long-standing bulk storage. If you have a big family, a chest freezer can make grocery shopping cheaper as bulk buys are usually better valued and it can proceed as a backup to your main fridge to make sure you never run out of food. Buying food in bulk also means fewer trips to the supermarket, saving you time and hassle.
Some Tips to Consider before you buy a Chest Freezer…
Size: You can find the freezers range in size from 150L up to around 700L. Keep in mind that the bigger the freezer the more energy it will take. Moreover, it costs money to run a half-empty freezer; it's not particularly good for the environment either. So select carefully and make sure that you are purchasing the most suitable size for your household.
Location: Another factor you have to consider is where to place your new chest freezer. Although the kitchen is an understandable choice, you might not have the floor space for it, especially if it's one of the larger models. Many people prefer to place their chest freezer in the garage which has the added advantage of making transferring groceries from the car to the freezer extra easy. But if your garage isn't insulated your freezer will use more power to keep cool during summer.
Energy Star: Chest Freezers are labeled with an energy efficiency star rating. The more stars displayed, the more energy efficient the model.
Noise: If you plan to keep the freezer in a living area, consider how noisy it is (and also how it looks). Most manufacturers say that their freezers can operate in a room where the temperature can reach up 110 degrees Fahrenheit, but check product specifications if you plan to put the freezer in an unheated area, such as a garage.
Temperatures: Most of the freezers in our tests maintained a consistent temperature. Manual-defrost uprights were the exception. Without fans to circulate cold air, temperatures of on-door shelves were between 9 and 19 degrees higher than in the rest of the freezer.
Basement: Once you've gotten your freezer, you may want to give it a little help keeping its cool—and making food last longer. Keep your freezer in a cool spot, such as the basement, where it tends to stay well below normal room temperatures. Even though most manufacturers say models will operate in temperatures up to 110 Fahrenheit, check the product info for specifications.
Freezer Burn: Repackaging food in several layers of plastic wrap helps reduce moisture loss and freezer burn. Some common freezing rules of thumb: You can freeze ground beef for up to 4 months and a whole chicken for as much as a year. A pack of hot dogs should only stay frozen for 1 to 2 months at best.
Best Chest Freezers – 10 Models Reviewed – Across 3 Channels
1, The Midea Single Door Chest Freezer, 7.0 Cubic Feet -White (WHS-258C1)
- First on the list that you should consider is the Midea WHS-258C1 chest freezer brings roomy 7 cubic feet of space for anyone who doesn’t like to spend a mint on extra space for stock-piling frozen goods. And if 7 cubic feet is too much space, less-expensive 3.5- and 5-cubic-foot models are available, also.
- This is a simply designed model doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, but owners don’t seem to mind which keeps your food ice-cold, and that’s what matters. There is a lift-out storage basket, and the mechanical, regulating temperature control is on the front of the freezer for simple access.
- A recessed handle keeps the freezer streamlined for easy placement in garages or other spaces where storage is a premium. Some users warn that their freezers were dented during shipping, but most say that cosmetic defects don't impact the function and that there is little excess ice buildup.
- This model is very quiet and it comes with the 1-year warranty that extends to 2 years on the compressor. The weight of this model is 72.8 pounds with product dimensions of 37.2 by 20.6 by 33.5 inches and the price can generally be in the region of $200 to $250 but please double check todays price below.
2, The Danby 3.8 cu ft Chest Freezer -White
- Second on the list is the Danby 3.8 cu ft Chest Freezer in White and here it used the environmentally friendly R600a refrigerant and please note there is also 1 adjustable white wire basket included as standard.
- In addition, if you buy you will get the energy efficient foam insulated cabinet and lid, the front mount mechanical thermostat, a smooth back design and also an easy to clean interior liner.
- When needed, there is the manual defrost option available to you and this chest freezer has a front mount defrost drain for your convenience.
- In terms of dimensions, it come s in at 24.96"L by 22.2"W by 33.07"H in inches, there is a 1 year warranty included and the price bracket when last viewed at Walmart was between $220 to $250 which of course can be viewed below.
3, The Whynter Energy Star 1.1 Cubic Feet Upright Freezer with Lock, Black (CUF-110B)
- If you are looking for a small freezer for your small space area, possibly in a dorm room, under a desk, on a side table or in tight quarters like a boat or an RV then a basic-black Whynter is a competent, solid pick. It’s Energy Star-rated model which offers 1.1 cubic feet of space, good for keeping a stack of frozen dinners or several pints of ice cream at the ready.
- The Whynter model won’t take up more than its fair share of space in tight quarters. Inside, it has one removable slide-out wire shelf and a mechanical temperature dial that allow settings from -10 to 2 degrees.
- The swing door is reversible, handy for spots where it can only open one direction and there is a recessed handle to keep things streamlined. The freezer's door is lockable consequently no one can access your frozen stash unless they have the key. You will love this little freezer, as it's an enormous size for one person who doesn’t need to stock up on a huge amount of frozen goods.
- This is quite enough not to be a nuisance, even when it's underfoot and the warranty of this model is 1-year. The weight of this model is 40.5 pounds with product dimensions of 17.7 by 18.5 by 19.5 inches.
4, The GE Appliances 10.6 cu. ft. Energy Star Freezer
- This Chest freezer from GE Appliances comes trusted brand in America and has a capacity of 10.6 cubic feet and it also has the energy star rating to help you save money with your energy costs.
- One thing that you will like is the fact that it has interior lighting to make it easier to see the contents inside and there are the easy to use controls to select the temperature for your own particular needs.
- Another bonus is the fact that there is the lock with a key to protect your contents and the handles are recessed to make an attractive sleek overall design. Of you buy, you also get the 3 lift-out, sliding bulk storage baskets for your most favorite items to be kept separate and of course there is the manual defrost function as standard.
- The dimensions you need to note of are 33.5'' H by 27.5'' W by 50.75'' D and it weighs approx. 114 Ibs. In terms of warranty you get 1 year and the price when last viewed ranged from $300 to $500 depending on discount activity.
5, The Danby 7.2 cu. ft. Chest Freezer
- Another chest freezer that you should look at more closely is the Danby 7.2 cu. ft. Chest Freezer which has the simply accessible front mount thermostat for temperature control and also the front mount drains for fast and simple defrost maintenance.
- This model is Energy efficient with the foam insulated cabinet and lid and it has the easy to clean interior liner. Inside the chest freezer there is also a compartment divider to help you keep the contents under control and to stay organized. There is also the easy-to-access front-mount mechanical thermostat which allows you too easily and quickly program the unit to the desired temperature required.
- Included here also is one wire storage basket and please note that the freezer is cooled by environmentally friendly R600a refrigerant.
- The size you need to consider here is approx 22.2 by 39.9 by 33.1 inches, you get a 1 year warranty if you buy and the price tends to be around $350 to $400 when last viewed on sale
6, The Haier 5.0 cu.ft. Capacity Chest Freezer (HF50CM23NW)
- While this chest freezer from Haier may not be the most popular we have seen, it certainly deserves its place due to the reliability, performance, overall functionality and also the attractive price tag that comes with it.
- Here you get a space saving upright design so it saves you space which will be perfect for people who don’t have enough space to allow for larger chest freezers. There is also the removable basket for organizational purposes and easy access to the most frequently used products.
- The back of this chest freezer has a flat design to save space also, there is the defrost drain included as standard and adjustable temperature controls located in the front of the unit for easy access and operation.
- This model is also RoHS compliant, it has a weight of 71.6 pounds with product dimensions of 22 by 28.5 by 33.2 in inches.
- In terms of price and value, when last viewed at Walmart, it was for sale from $150 to $200 depending on promotional activities.
7, The Midea Compact Single Reversible Door Upright Freezer, 3.0 Cubic Feet (WHS-109FW1)
- If you prefer an upright freezer that won't take up much space, consider this model from Midea. Two wire shelves and a wire basket help you organize your frozen goods, and because it's not too large, it's unlikely that foods will get forgotten in the back. The quiet compressor makes this ideal for any kind of living space. And the reversible door makes it easier to customize depending on your home.
- This freezer is also available in black or stainless steel finishes. The weight of this model is 57.3 pounds with product dimensions of 19.7 x 21.3 x 33.9 inches. This model has excellent features as it has the net capacity of 3.0 cubic feet, mechanical temperature, and produce low noise, energy efficient, it has reversible door-left or right swing.
- At the core of their business is the basic, but ever-important concepts of quality and value; concepts that many companies have forgotten or neglected in recent decades.
- In their climb through the refrigeration and air conditioning markets, their pursuit of market leadership is driven by the desire to be a customer-focused, global company that delivers exceptional quality, innovation and value in all aspects of their operations -- from product development and production to delivery and customer support and the price here tends to be less than $200.
8, The Avanti 7 cu. ft. Chest Freezer
- Next on this list is the Avanti 7 cubic feet Chest Freezer which is energy star rated and also includes a storage removable basket to access more frequently use items and to keep your stock organized.
- Please note also that the flip up lid here has an integrated handle and the adjustable thermostat and power indicator light are conveniently located on the base of the unit.
- The interior here is also very easy to clean, there is a defrost drain as standard and there are wheels are the base for easy movement and manoeuvrability.
- This mode is energy complaint also, the weight is 75 Ibs and the dimensions you need to consider are 33.25'' H by 35.75'' W by 21.75'' D in inches.
- The power cord also is 72 inches long, it has compatible Refrigerant CFC Free R600A and the price can range from $300 up as far as $420 which is promotional dependent.
9, The Frigidaire 34 Inch Wide 20.5 Cu. Ft. Upright Freezer with SpaceWise Organization System (FFFH21F6Q)
- If you need to store a lot of frozen food, you might as well get a chest freezer that will let you store a lot of it – that is, of course, if you have the room. And if your home will accommodate these large 20.5-cubic feet Frigidaire, it's the best home unit you can buy.
- It's the most expensive chest freezer on our list, and it has a footprint that’s more than six feet wide and two feet deep. Frigidaire builds this freezer in America and builds it well. The walls are thicker than you’ll find on most competitive models, with a proprietary ArcticLock construction system which promises to keep food frozen for two days in the event of a power outage.
- This model can maintain temperatures at temperatures as low as -10° with very few “hot spots,” so food stays frozen and free of freezer burn for as long as required. This huge chest freezer has a capacity of 20.5 cubic feet, so you may be wondering how that equates to the amount of food that can be stored. As a rule of thumb, you can store about 35 pounds of meat (including any packaging material) for each cubic foot in a freezer.
- So you’ll be able to freeze a lot of cows (or well over 1,000 pints of ice cream) in a unit this size. It does not have auto-defrost, and as we’ve mentioned, that’s a good thing for chest freezers. What it does have, though, is a built-in drain to make things easy when it’s time to defrost your unit.
- This chest freezer comes with four adjustable storage baskets to help with organization (and you can purchase additional baskets or dividers from Frigidaire), inside LED lighting (many of these freezers don't have lights inside at all), a "power on" indicator and a keyed lock. It’s very reasonably priced with approx. $38 per year to run continuously, a very good spec for a freezer this large.
- The dimensions you need to note are 34" W by 73-3/16" H by 30-1/2" D, it weighs 196 Ibs and the price when last checked at Walmart was a little over $1000.
10, The Arctic King 7 cu ft Chest Freezer (Black)
- Last on this list for today is the reliable Arctic King 7 cubic feet Chest Freezer which has received numerous positive reviews and customer feedback in recent months and one of the main attractions here also is the low price tag associated to it.
- It comes from a brand that you can trust, it has a very easy to clean interior plate which is much easier to clean than typical silicone or aluminium plates and there is also the removable storage basket which offers flexibility to organize and store your favorite foods for quick and easy access.
- If you don’t like the black color, then you can also go for the white version, there is also the recessed handles for ease of use and hold a total capacity of 7 cu. Ft.
- In terms of dimensions, it comes in at 20.59 by W 37.2 by H 33.46 in inches, it weighs 73 Ibs and the price when last viewed at Walmart was between $130 and $160 which of course can be double checked below.
A chest freezer is like a lifesaver for those times when friends drop in and you want to promptly serve up some tasty snacks like hot chips or party pies. And as mentioned above, the bigger the unit, the more energy it will use, so make sure you are buying the right size for your requirements. Chest freezers have a limited number of features as you read in the above list of chest freezers, there's not a lot to differentiate the brands. They generally feature at least one basket for the convenient storage of smaller items, but you may need more depending on your necessities. The main obstacle to purchasing a deep freezer is, of course, space. The majority of kitchens are not built to contain another full-sized appliance, and not everyone has room in their basement or garage for a dedicated freezer. The space problem forces many people to settle for an upright freezer with a relatively small footprint.
Finally, it would be greatly appreciated by the community if you can share your own personal experiences with your favorite Chest Freezers by leaving a comment in the comment box below – So that others in the community can learn also!
At this point, I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to visit and best of luck with your final decision with your new Chest Freezer.